2015-2016 Director & Regional Representative, Executive Committee, Canadian Association for Studies in Adult Education (CASAE). http://www.casae-acceea.ca
2012 Chair, Proposal Review Panel, 32nd Annual Conference of Canadian Association for the Study of Adult Education (CASAE).
2011 Member, Proposal Review Panel, 31stth Annual Conference of Canadian Association for the Study of Adult Education (CASAE) /American Educational Research Association (AERC).
2011 Adjudicator, Health Policy, Health Services & Health Outcomes Peer Review Research Grants Committee. Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation (NSHRF).
2010 Adjudicator, Health Policy, Health Services & Health Outcomes Peer Review Committee. Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation (NSHRF) Student Research Awards (Master and doctoral scholarships).
2008–2011 Adjudicator, Nova Scotia Gaming Foundation Research Studentship Review Committee (Master and doctoral scholarships).
2008–2011 Curriculum Consultant, Atlantic Summer Institute on Safe and Healthy Communities. University of Prince Edward Island.
- Academic Journals
- Adult Education Quarterly (consulting editorial team)
- Canadian Journal for the Study of Adult Education (CJSAE)
- Canadian Journal of Rural Community Development
- International Journal of Lifelong Education (IJLE)
- Journal of Transformative Education (JTE) (consulting editorial team)
- Chapter Reviewer—Academic Books
Wang, V. C. (Ed.) (2015). Handbook of Research on Advancing Health Education through Technology. Hershey, PA: PIGI Global.
Mejiuni, O, Cranton, P. & Taiwo O. (Eds.) (2014). Measuring and Analyzing Informal Learning in the Digital Age. Advances in Higher Education and Professional Development Book Series. Hershey, PA: PIGI Global.
External Examination of Theses
Hicks-Moore, Sandee (2012). Doing what comes natural: Understanding direct caregivers’ experience of caring for residents with dementia. Doctor of Philosophy (Education) (PhD). Advisor: Dr. Elizabeth Burge, Faculty of Education, University of New Brunswick.
Nyika, Lawrence (2012). *Exploring factors that influence risky sexual behaviours of undergraduate students. Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction (M.Ed.) Advisor: Dr. Anne Murray Orr, Faculty of Education, StFX University.
* Currently supervising PhD students in the Nova Scotia Inter-University Doctoral Program in Educational Studies: nsphdeducation.ca/home/default.aspx
University Committee Membership:
2012–2016 Director, StFX Centre for Regional Studies
2011–2016 StFX University Senate
2011–2014 StFX Outstanding Teaching Award Committee
2007–2014 StFX Extended Library Services Committee
2008–2010 StFX Committee on Graduate Studies
– American Association for Adult & Continuing Education (AAACE)
– Canadian Association for the Study of Adult Education (CASAE)
– International Association of Community Development (IACD)
– Canadian Public Health Association (CPHA)
– Canadian Society for International Health (CSIH)
– Canadian Rural Health Research Society (CRHRS)
Local Community Service
2016-2021 Director, Rural Communities Foundation of Nova Scotia (www.ruralcommunitiesfdn.ca)
2009–2013 Director, Braemore Co-operative Community Advisory Council
2007–2010 Director, Guysborough Antigonish Strait Health Authority (GASHA).
2007–2010 Chair, Council of Community Health Board Chairs (CHB), Guysborough Antigonish Health Strait Authority.
2007–2011 Member, Nova Scotia Volunteer Community Advisory Council (NS VCAC).
2007–2011 Member, Community Development & Capacity Building Working Group, Nova Scotia Department of Health and Wellness, Tobacco Reduction Strategy Renewal.
1999–2011 Network Member, People Assessing Their Health (PATH) Network, which consists of professionals interested in promoting community-based health promotion and health impact assessment.
2001–2011 Director, Antigonish Highland Skateboarding Association (ASHA).